MK1's Kameo System Sounds Very Similar To Special Heroes In Marvel VS. Capcom


I may not be planning to get Mortal Kombat 1 any time soon since my gaming vibes are getting lower. However, hearing of the kameo system some time ago made me think of a game I wish I could play again - Marvel vs. Capcom. It's too bad that when the PS2 came out - Capcom NEVER bothered to create the arcade-perfect translation after the Dreamcast crashed. 

I remembered how Marvel vs. Capcom in the PSX made you choose between regular partner or special partner. The special parter could aid INFINITELY in the EX Edition. The arcade edition had it as a special partner which can be summoned a number of times. In Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter - your partner can assist you in the battle to do a special move. In Mortal Kombat (2011) or MK9 - there was also Tag Assist though it required one level of the super meter. I think MK9 did try to balance the partner assist to avoid it from becoming as cheesy as what MSH vs. SF did.

Granted, I haven't tested it yet so I can't determine if it's broken or not. Hopefully, it wouldn't be an easily spammed mechanic. Maybe, people may end up appreciating MK9's rather broken Tag Team Mode (which is MORE balanced than what the older Marvel vs. Capcom entries had) if ever this new gimmick ends up not being as balanced as planned. 

Comments