My Thoughts Why "Tekken 8" Has No Arcade Release



My gaming vibes are GOOD AS SUNK. So far, I only enjoy playing mostly old-school games while embracing new technology. I guess the generation gap really happens like I'm more interested in replaying Super Mario World than any of the newer Super Mario Bros. games. That's why I haven't had a Nintendo system and I'm outdated on it too. I Googled for "Tekken 8 Arcade" and found this out from Hardcore Gamer:

There are changes with Tekken 8 that are worth noting and it starts at the core. For the first time, the game will not be released as an arcade cabinet prior to release. This game will be no arcade port, but rather built from the ground up on the Unreal 5 Engine for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series and PC. This is showed off in the visuals as environmental lighting and textures look to be miles above any other game in the series, and overall potentially some of the best visuals period. The battle concept and the direction of battle are the other main driving force for Tekken 8. It brings thoughts of when John Cena came out against Kurt Angle and declared the start of the Ruthless Aggression era in WWE, as the aggression is the goal in the fights and the feeling was oh-so-satisfying.

It's no secret that Mortal Kombat has been copying from Tekken. Tekken also copied from several video games like Virtua Fighter (which came first) and also some Street Fighter influence. Playing Tekken 6 made me think that Asuka and Lily are like Sakura and Karin from Street Fighter. Heck, I even can't get over how Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa acted as Heihachi Mishima in the two Tekken films. I guess Tagawa was always the redeeming thing about them. Tagawa was also Shang Tsung in Mortal Kombat (1995) and reprised his role for Mortal Kombat 11. I think Namco hated the Tekken movie too much to allow Tagawa to voice Heihachi in future installments. Still, I think Tagawa would've been cool as Heihachi in the video game.

I guess Tekken ended up copying from Mortal Kombat as well. Not that they decided to Jump the Shark by making Tekken a bloody game. Instead, the very idea that there won't be a Tekken 8 arcade reminds me of how Mortal Kombat skipped the arcade since the sixth generation console days. Meanwhile, Tekken kept up with the trend of having an arcade. I guess it's because Tekken has been a more spectator-type game for a long time compared to Mortal Kombat. I think Midway (before Netherrealm) thought that if they want to ramp up the violence - better have it directly for home consoles! Still, it's funny how Mortal Kombat games since the seventh generation consoles are still played in tournaments.

It's old news (written last March 2023) but I feel like reacting to it. I think the arcade market is really dying. I remembered me, my little sister and younger cousins joking about, "Who has a token?" while playing Tekken 3 on the PSX. I guess the Legacy Virus had been one of the causes. I think the decision Namco made is based on a changing trend. It could be more different than what Netherrealm decided that Mortal Kombat (2011) wouldn't get an arcade machine. Mortal Kombat (2011) is too bloody for a public spectacle game in contrast to Tekken 6. This is coming from me who still thinks Tekken 6 is better than MK (2011) while hating Tekken 7 with a passion because of how anemic it feels. 

If anything, I feel that Tekken has been doing better in the home consoles. I ended up hating playing Tekken games on the arcade since Tekken 3. I wonder if consumer sentiment has also caused this to happen. Sure, Tekken has had its public spectacle for years. Apparently, that's going to come to an end in exchange for its success as a home party game. 

Comments