Motaro In MK1 (As An Assist-Only Character) Revives My Old Theory About Motaro Being The Unfought In MK9


Some time ago, I wrote why Motaro was reduced to just a cameo in Mortal Kombat (2011). There was the hunch that it was difficult to program a four-legged character as a ladder boss. What happened to Motaro was that he was reduced to just a cameo. Motaro didn't even speak anything. The fact that Motaro had a few shots in Story Mode most likely explained why he became The Unfought. It was obvious that we saw Motaro fighting Johnny Cage. We saw Motaro bowing down when Shao Kahn arrived before he fought Johnny Cage. However, we saw Motaro killed by Raiden, and his body was brought down. It does seem Netherrealm Studios gave a very bizarre notice to the players about why Motaro was The Unfought. Eventually, Motaro became a Kameo Fighter for the upcoming Mortal Kombat 1.

My old theory was that Motaro was really tested. Possibilities are that people in Netherrealm Studios had tested the character. They already prepared the CPU for Goro, Kintaro, and Shao Kahn giving them some SNK Boss statistics. Motaro was definitely next. I could imagine that Motaro was meant to be immune to both projectiles and X-rays. Motaro was possibly given the same damage output as Goro, Kintaro, and Shao Kahn. Maybe, mercifully toned down in contrast to Mortal Kombat Trilogy. They probably tested Motaro again and again only to find out HE'D BE TOO MOTHERF*CKING DIFFICULT TO BEAT. I guess everyone testing Motaro during the development process said, "THIS WILL F*CK UP THE GAME!" 

I could imagine what if Motaro was in MK (2011). I could imagine what if before the fight with Shao Kahn - I'm forced to fight a boss that's immune to BOTH x-rays and projectiles! Sure, fighting Goro and Kintaro in MK (2011) wasn't easy but it wasn't as unreasonable as the 1990s games. I could say that the use of X-Rays and launch combos made both MERCIFULLY NOT THAT DIFFICULT. I think Motaro would also be immune to being launched. I did remember spamming Liu Kang's 2-1-3 combo on Goro and Kintaro. I don't think that would work on Motaro based on his body design. 

Everything goes back to BALANCE. Motaro would totally wreck the balance. I guess Netherrealm Studios was replaying MK Trilogy - a game I'm FINE WITHOUT NOW. I might miss playing some old games but others can age badly for me. It's like I could enjoy playing the Street Fighter Alpha series but not the Street Fighter II series. I enjoy Tekken 3 and Tekken 5 but I feel the first two games have aged badly. I just find it weird how Mortal Kombat II and Tekken 2 tend to be overrated. I may find myself playing classic Megaman games but I still find the first two games unreasonably difficult. As for Mortal Kombat, I simply dropped off the first eight games after MK (2011)

Motaro is simply too difficult. I still feel that MK Trilogy was greatly imbalanced. It can get worse when the sub-boss is MOTARO. I always had a fear of Motaro playing that game. I didn't fear Goro and Kintaro that much in MK Trilogy. Motaro was truly fearsome. I guess Netherrealm Studios wanted to keep the game balanced. After all, cheat devices are now long-dead ever since the dawn of achievement-oriented gameplay. I guess that also gave a good reason as to why Motaro was turned into The Unfought. 

Comments