The Mystery Of Liu Kang's Dragon Motif And Ability

Big Bad Toy Store

As the year of the dragon approaches - I feel like addressing my favorite Mortal Kombat character's somehow unexplained ability. Sure, one can really say that you need to evade logic in certain areas of fiction. Liu Kang was shown to have the ability to become a DRAGON in some Mortal Kombat games. Sure, one might explain his fire ability to have learned it like Ryu learning the Hadoken from Street Fighter. However, the game still fails to explain how in the world Liu Kang could transform into a dragon when he's listed as HUMAN.

Mortal Kombat II was the first time I showed an interest in the franchise when I was in ELEMENTARY. I felt the first game was too bland for my taste. The second game gained so much better reception than the first or even the third game. At that time, Liu Kang practically became my favorite. Maybe, it's because he's Chinese, or was it because of his cool dragon fatality? He quickly became my favorite character overall. Even when he wasn't the protagonist - I still used him ANYWAY. I even almost dropped Mortal Kombat because of Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance.

The dragon fatality was really something. Liu Kang still retained his Shaolin Uppercut except it got an upgrade (the darkened background). Sure, there were some cool fatalities like Reptile's head devouring, Scorpion's toasty got a major upgrade, the younger Sub-Zero's (Kuai Liang) ice uppercut, Mileena's man-eater. I did fall for Liu Kang's dragon transformation since it was a big stretch. How did Liu Kang even become a dragon? It's not even explained in his biography at all!

The fatality caused rumors to pop out. It was said that Kuai Liang could become a polar bear. The rumor became a reality in the Mortal Kombat 3 series and all its updates. I used to have Mortal Kombat Trilogy which I don't miss playing ever since Mortal Kombat (2011). Liu Kang's fatality became his Animality in the third installment. Liu Kang did have two new fatalities namely the immolation fatality and the arcade drop fatality. I'm a fan of the second one for its crude humor. The first one was too generic for my taste.

Mortal Kombat 4 was an attempt to go 3D. Ah yes, the era that I consider to be very messy! I believe Mortal Kombat should stay in the 2D fighting plane. The fatality was taken in 3D with a new twist. Liu Kang would become a dragon (and there are green flames) and do a RAG DOLL treatment to his foes. Still, none of Liu Kang's biographies ever explained WHY he became a dragon. The fatality would take a hiatus for some time. From Mortal Kombat Deception up to Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe - Liu Kang had other fatalities to keep him afresh. However, the dragon would still remain iconic for years to come. Other games after Mortal Kombat (2011) shelved it again. 

Unlike Mortal Kombat 4/Gold, Mortal Kombat X never bothered to bring back Liu Kang's fatality. After all, it was placed in Mortal Kombat (2011). Maybe, it was for the best that the fatality wasn't even given as a DLC. Nothing in Mortal Kombat  X EVER explained how he became a dragon either. Liu Kang's outro did reveal a flaming dragon if he won without a fatality performed. The fatality did give a detail of Liu Kang getting enveloped in a flaming aura before he became the dragon logo. My favorite rendition was in Mortal Kombat (2011) compared to the others. 

Then there's Mortal Kombat 11 - a game I'm now getting mixed about! I feel like I probably only bought it for the hype to play a depowered Shao Kahn. Other than that, I do miss the smarter, more menacing Shao Kahn who got replaced by a Stupid Evil villain. Liu Kang's Fatal Blow had him create a flaming dragon and made a reference to the classic fatality. Apparently, Liu Kang gained the ability to manipulate flames. Would that Fatal Blow actually explain how Liu Kang can become a dragon? Maybe yes, maybe no. 

I guess Netherrealm Studios will always keep it as a mystery! 

 

Comments