I Gave "Sekai Ninja Sen Jiraiya" A Shot And It's Getting Strangely Enjoyable

Back in 2015 - we had that DUMPSTER FIRE of a show known as Shuriken Sentai Ninninger. I even laughed while I watched Doubotsu Sentai Zyuohger vs. Shuriken Sentai Ninninger when a child said, "The history of Super Sentai, is over!" It's because Super Sentai started to have lower ratings. Sure, Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger and Ressha Sentai ToQGer got vindicated. Ninninger? It's probably not because it's only SLIGHTLY BETTER than Power Rangers Ninja Steel. I still think Ninninger deserves to be bashed. My eyes even popped out when it introduced Sekai Ninja Sen Jiraiya into the series. That series is just so plain 1980s! 

Watching the show reminds me of how mature Metal Hero can get. Chojinki Metalder was so mature that was forcibly rushed to just 39 episodes. After watching Tokkei Winspector - I dare state that it's better written than Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive. I don't think Super Sentai ever achieved that level of maturity - not even the overly serious Mirai Sentai Timeranger (which I love) can reach that level. I've seen Ninpuu Sentai Hurricanger and Ninja Sentai Kakuranger. Not even the very 1990s Kakuranger can achieve that level of maturity. Jiraiya might be aimed at children but it certainly feels more mature. It's practically Toei trying something new. 

The plot has Yamaji Touha as the 35th head. Seeing Takumi Tsutsui fight out-of-suit and in-suit is just plain badass. However, there's the weirdness when Japanese people play non-Japanese people. A Turkish ninja? A Crusader ninja? A Chinese ninja? A Cambodian ninja (and Cambodians are DARK SKINNED)? A European witch? What makes it funnier is that mostly played by JAPANESE PEOPLE. The language barrier is really there. It's also going to cost a lot of money if they had to get people from their ethnicity to play the characters. That may explain why some characters never got unmasked at all. Call it plot convenience or Toei not knowing what to do because Japanese people are playing non-Japanese characters!

It also reminds me of B-Fighter Kabuto's watchable mess part. Reuben Langdon is an AMERICAN ACTOR and he was voiced over. I think Japanese as a second language may have gotten more accessible at that time. However, how many non-Japanese knew how to speak the language anyway? I'd dare say barely. The evidence is there when Super Sentai cast members always have interpreters at Power Morphicon. The moment that Austin St. John and Yuuta Mochizuki met would be awkward. "How am I going to talk to this guy?" might be the thoughts that went to their heads. Toei had to work around by making a high-budget school play with Japanese actors playing as non-Japanese characters. Sure, I don't mind with Japanese actors playing non-Earth characters. However, I do feel awkward with how non-Japanese characters are played by Japanese characters. I also have that same reaction whenever Indian characters in Journey to the West get played by Chinese characters. 

I guess children didn't care too much about the awkwardness. Just think how Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers has plenty of awkward moments but it sold like hotcakes. Maybe, only when the fans grew up they realized that Mighty Morphin' had several moments like, "Can't Zordon spell?!" In Jiraiya's case - a logical analysis would make one say, "Since when did these foreign ninjas speak Japanese?" I still find it weird even if we've got the trope of English-Speaking Aliens which is adapted into Japanese-Speaking Aliens for Toei's productions. Are aliens speaking Japanese or the default language of the TV show's country of origin? Most fans are used to it. Meanwhile, I'm still laughing at the awkwardness of Japanese playing non-Japanese characters in Jiraiya

 

Last year's Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger felt awkward too. How in the world are European-themed civilizations full of Japanese-looking people? The only one that truly fit in was half-bred Erica Murakami. I always joked that Jacqueline Scislowski would've fit as Himeno Ran better BUT I doubt the actress can speak Japanese. It's also not easy to work with someone who doesn't speak your language! Sure, we can get along eventually but the difficulty is there! Was this decision also to honor Toei's daring attempt with Jiraiya and its supposed "multi-racial cast" that was all played by MOSTLY JAPANESE PEOPLE? 

So yeah, I'm enjoying Jiraiya. However, I do feel like imitating Cinema Sins' crazy humor as they make fun of fictional entries!

Comments