Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite's MISSED POTENTIAL


Is it me or is modern Disney RUINING EVERYTHING? I even wonder if Warner Bros. buying DC Comics was a good or a bad thing. SJWs are ruining games such as badly written or for the sake of some small butthurt minority somewhere. Yes, all for the sake of representation and badly created messes such as A Little Mermaid remake. I don't mind a black Ariel but shouldn't she be a reason to move the whole story to Africa? Africanize the story? That would've been the best thing to do and say, "Well, let's reinvent it and take it to Africa!" Instead, the diversity didn't work. Disney ruined Marvel such as how Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch get retconned as no longer Magneto's children (which was a very interesting plot point), how certain X-Men characters just get written off without a good reason, etc. I believe that Disney actually ruined Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite.

I was getting hyped for Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite for so many reasons. I get to play as my favorite Mega Man incarnation -- Mega Man X! Zero was going to be side by side with his best buddy -- unlike in Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds. It was nice to go back to 2 vs. 2 tag team mode because of how focused they are. I realized how messy 3 vs. 3 was when I played Mortal Kombat (2011)'s Tag Team Mode. 3 vs. 3 was great when I first played Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on the PlayStation 2 in my college days. However, 2 vs. 2 is just plain great. I was glad to see the game go back to 2 vs. 2. Hearing of the Infinity Gems returning? YES! I really wanted the game! 

However, watching the Angry Joe Show review of Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite -- the game had several steps backward. I don't mind the not-so-good character models. There's also the Story Mode which I don't think is as badly written. The Ultron Sigma concept is a vast improvement from Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe's Dark Kahn. Until now, I still feel Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe should've put Tag Team Mode (which was most likely added into the reboot as an apology) due to the crossover nature and go back to 2D roots. The even bigger bummer is that there are NO INDIVIDUAL GAME ENDINGS in Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite. I can understand Marvel vs. Capcom 2 not having individual endings due to the huge character roster. We had a roster reduction! 


Maybe, my big complaints are the rosters. What's Marvel vs. Capcom for me without the iconic X-Men characters? Who can ever forget that iconic handshake between Ryu and Cyclops in X-Men vs. Street Fighter -- where the two sides were the ones who presumably defeated Apocalypse? It was fun to use Ryu and Cyclops as one's tag team before ending the battle with one-on-one combat. It was fun to see Cyclops and Ryu in each other's endings. I'd also like to address that as a Wolverine fanboy -- it was very hard to think of a Marvel vs. Capcom game without Wolverine or any X-Men character. Sure, I was able to cope with Cyclops' demotion as a limited Special Assist Partner in Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes

If I'm not wrong, Disney got too focused on the Marvel Cinematic Universe promotion. X-Men and the Fantastic Four were still with Fox. It's a big lie to say that the X-Men characters matter no more. Come on, it was X-Men that launched the first official Marvel vs. Capcom crossover! If it wasn't for Cyclops and Ryu teaming up -- the craze would've never been there! That may explain why Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite wasn't given its chance to have the X-Men or the Fantastic Four characters. I'd admit part of my tantrums are I'll never get to have Cyclops and Ryu teaming up again or I effing miss Doctor Doom! I wanted to have Spider-Man beat up Doctor Doom for the nth time. It would've been fun to see Wolverine helping Captain America. 

Part of my disgust maybe because I actually enjoyed Marvel: Ultimate Alliance by Activision. The opening scene has Doctor Doom lead the Masters of Evil. Seeing Captain America, Thor, Wolverine, and Spider-Man in the beginning was effing awesome. Wolverine has been a member of both the Avengers and the X-Men. It'd be awesome if Wolverine was aiding Captain America in the beginning. If Mega Man X can be with Zero -- why not have Wolverine be with Captain America? It'd be fun to see Wolverine and Zero slash down enemies as much as Mega Man X and Captain America. That's a lot of things missing there.

Yes, I was excited to buy the game when it first came out. I see the cool mechanics or less cheesy mechanics. Maybe, it's for the best that Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite got rid of the Team Hyper Combo mechanic -- which was a very cheesy tactic in the 1990s. There's the tagging someone in mid-combo but the assists are gone. Really? What's up with that? Maybe, it's because I got used to Mortal Kombat's (2011) limited assist mechanic. I'm afraid that the fault isn't entirely Disney's alone. Capcom's current stuff may be too drunk in their past successes. Haven't they bothered to let Marvel vs. Capcom evolve instead of devolve? I even find the comic-style character endings of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 more welcome than having no character endings. 

Pretty much, it's understandable why the fan hate happens. I'm not going to shy away from that I do like some game entries and some less popular characters. Toei Ltd. created some messy entries such as Kamen Rider BLACK RX and B-Fighter Kabuto -- both got Vindicated by History because the Saban remakes were plain licensed dumpster fires! However, Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite really went a step backward. Maybe, I can forgive a mess like Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22 because of hardware limitations. Please, technology has evolved. Shouldn't the gaming evolve too than step backward? 

Comments