"Batman: The New Advetures" As That Meh Follow-Up To The Iconic "Batman: The Animated Series"


After rewatching some episodes of Batman: The Animated Series -- I feel the need to be that annoying nitpicker again. Every company has its own history of bad decisions -- even those that made a lot of beloved franchises anywhere around the world. Warner Bros. was responsible for many DC animated adaptations and owns DC Comics -- explaining why the Joker became an easy guest character in Mortal Kombat 11. Now, I'd like to think of the RIGHTFULLY SHORT-LIVED The New Batman Adventures. Some changes were made such as Dick Grayson becoming Nightwing and a new Robin was introduced namely Tim Drake. I wonder if that decision was trying something new or what?

Unlike its predecessor which had better art -- new art was used presumably to keep it consistent with Superman: The Animated Series. This drop in animation is much more than what G.I. Joe did during the DIC seasons. I may have preferred Sunbow over DiC. Sunbow got the G.I. Joe license and had Toei work on it. DiC's art was way too childish for G.I. Joe but it did work wonders for Saban's Super Mario Bros. Super Show. However, I think Batman: The New Adventures' artwork was plain horrendous. I couldn't get over how the vibrant artwork was replaced with... OH MY EYES! I can't even get over what they did to the heroes. The villains all look horrible such as how the Joker looks like a mime than a maniac, Poison Ivy becomes less human with no explanation (but it seems that the real deal was absent and it was her clone), Riddler, Two-Face, etc.

The series ran for only 26 episodes! Is it me or do American TV shows love to overextend to the point of absurdity? I could remember how Saban Entertainment caused a drop in animation quality during X-Men: The Animated Series but it was forgivable. However, Batman: The New Adventures created a mess. The budget was already reduced to start with -- to give more budget allocation to Superman: The Animated Series. I feel the fans didn't like it and the demand wasn't given well. A drop in quality is a drop in quality. That's what Batman: The New Adventures is -- a huge drop in quality from its predecessor.

Maybe, it would've been better NOT to give in to the fan demand. Several shows can go nowhere when fan demand is given in too much. Batman: The Animated Series was really a huge thing. Overextending it was probably thought of. However, Batman: The New Adventures is really what I'd call worse than X-Men: The Animated Series' later episodes.

Comments