"X-Men Mutant Academy 2" Was A Vast Improvement From The Sh*tty First Game

 

I confess I hated X-Men Mutant Academy's first entry. Was it because I still think X-Men: Children of the Atom was still better? Okay, the PSX version of X-Men: Children of the Atom lacked the character endings in full for some reason. Fortunately, Marvel Super Heroes did a better job porting the game with the endings. I didn't like the first X-Men: Mutant Academy game but the second game worked wonders. I never played X-Men: The Next Dimension so I'll just review a PSX classic. Yes, that ONLY X-Men Mutant Academy game that I got to enjoy.

The first game started with six characters and unlocked the other four. The second game has no such nonsense. Instead, it's because every character has a different final opponent like in the first two Street Fighter Alpha games. Cyclops has Havok as the final opponent (and vice-versa) and Wolverine has his final battle with Sabertooth. There were also unlockables such as Spider-Man and Professor X (who had very limited gameplay). 

Since the game was made by Activision instead of Capcom -- I needed to memorize a new set of moves. My mains were usually Cyclops or Wolverine -- my two favorite X-Men characters. Some moves were blatantly taken from the Marvel vs. Capcom series such as Cyclops' Concussion Blast was obviously based on the Mega Optic Blast and Rogue's ability to steal moves. Aerial combos were integrated into the gameplay. Maybe, I still prefer the ones used in the Marvel vs. Capom series. However, Activision still managed to contribute its own fair share of moves. However, I still prefer Capcom's special moves per character over Activision's. 

I might actually still prefer the Marvel vs. Capcom series. However, credit where credit is due is this. It's still a decent effort to create an X-Men fighting game without trying to become X-Men: Children of the Atom. The moves are a decent effort not to copycat from the Marvel vs. Capcom series. It's still a lower score but it's still good IMHO. 


Comments