My First Impressions And Concerns For Power Rangers Beast Morphers

Power Rangers Beast Morphers has begun and I thought I'd skip it (and maybe I won't even bother to sit down that LONG) but I'd like to give some criticisms. Hasbro has taken over yet I wonder why it's still STUCK IN NICKELODEON?! Yup, I'm looking at you Nick for ruining many beloved classics such as how Spongebob is no longer funny (and it should've been cancelled long ago to avoid ruining more childhoods of those who once enjoyed it), Fairly Oddparents' new characters are anything but interesting or somehow the network's bad decision making is a good reason why producer Butch Hartman left the network. Now, I'd like to raise my valid concerns on the first episode. 

The first episode has been focused on 100% American footage but we know many mecha and certain in-suit fight scenes (and I always find the transition between PR unmorphed fights to Japanese footage to be just plain weird) will end up using lots of Japanese footage in later episodes. The American cast is doing their best in their out-of-suit fight scenes -- I can't say Go-Busters' civilian action scenes are way better. It's because I'm considering that the source material comes from the post-Gaoranger era when action scenes have been watered down to nearly PG-7 levels! Though I wonder what original suit acting there will be done courtesy of the American stunt team!

The ranger selection has the blue ranger as the odd one out while the other two got into it by accident. The plan of the Grid Battleforce (hence all the GB in their logos which reminds me that Zordon can't spell Mighty Morphin'). Ravi, Roxy and Blaze are about to become the new set of Power Rangers called Beast Morphers. The plot actually revolves around the use of the Morphing Grid which is said to be the very source of power for almost every Power Ranger team. It's an energy field that has now been harnessed. Is it me or should Power Rangers try to avoid sequencing each other directly? Go-Busters Enetron has no link to other Super Sentai seasons as there are other sources of energy such that empower Super Sentai teams.

There's some RPM throwbacks such as having an African-American red ranger whose father is an important figure. In this case, the red ranger Devon is the son of the city mayor. The yellow ranger is also a white girl named Zoey. Remember when RPM had an African-American man for a red ranger and a white girl for a yellow ranger too? Devon's father Mayor Daniels is somewhat critical of using the Morphing Grid as many villains in the past wanted to seize it for power. I just wish that no mention of previous Power Rangers seasons were done as to avoid throwing back too much to past successes. I wish that the show just created its own form of energy and have Mayor Daniels say, "I'm afraid that this form of energy isn't stable yet." rather than having to let the show ride on the Morphin' Grid hype.

I thought Blaze was too arrogant to be the red ranger. I feel like pushing everything at his face at how much of an arrogant douche he was at the beginning -- but still what happened to him was a bad thing. I just hope though that Blaze ends up waking up and maybe he becomes more refined after that. There's also that rule of no rangers dating -- not even Jetman prohibited that rule as long as they made their duties come first! I agree with Ravi that it's a stupid rule that he has to break up with Roxy because they were about to become rangers. Jetman's Ryu and Rie were not required to break-up even if they were among those selected to be Jetmen but that badass military term never got formed all thanks to Radiguet's insane first attack! Now Blaze and Roxy are in a coma when their evil selves have been created by the cobra-like Evox. So no Messiah Virus footage used? That's kinda good though Messiah Virus' bodily form is destined to be used anyway, right?

Then here's where things go crazy or not. It's no secret that I do have a list of Power Rangers girls who I find prettier than their Super Sentai counterparts -- though take note that I'm still burning Megafarce beyond its ashes to this very day! I find Zoey way prettier than Yoko in Go-Busters though it's not really a sign that I may sit down and finish the show. I didn't even bother to watch more Megafarce except to poke fun at how sloppy and lazy it is (such as adding pre-Zyuranger and Dairanger suits which makes you think you're eating a moldy expired Krabby Patty) and the hot ladies just don't make it better. I'm hoping Zoey is not being pulled into the show just to make her eye candy in hopes of getting a target audience -- Megafarce tried and FAILED miserably at more than one level. I hope that actress Jacqueline Scislowski doesn't end up like Ciara Hanna and Christina Masterson -- used as attractive wrapper for an otherwise bad product!

Right now, I even think that she's the newest "prettier than any Super Sentai or Power Rangers girl" after I felt that crown was passed from Kimberly down to most Super Sentai girls (which in my case were Nanami, Ranru, Jasmine, Sakura and Mako), I even think she's way hotter than the Megafarce girls (who I didn't want to admit look slutty). She somehow has that gentle, wholesome look that I like a lot about Kimberly in Mighty Morphin'. Hmmm should she be the current crown holder? For me she'd get my vote even if I don't like Power Rangers!

I'm afraid that two characters may end up doing nothing but comic relief for the rest of the series! We have the siblings Ben and Betty who are apparently security guards. It's okay if they are comedy relief as long as they do something useful like the technicians in Go-Busters. Unfortunately, they are shown to be incompetent security guards. Why would the important center such as Grid Battleforce hire them if they were incompetent? I think the writers should focus on making them more relevant before they become like Cassidy and Devin (Dino Thunder) or Ninja Steel's two idiots Victor and Monty who almost had no contribution to said show! These two could be heading towards the same path too!

_________

Meanwhile, I just feel like that this is a shaky ground where it may mean that either this succeeds or Power Rangers dies from a lack of fan support. Hasbro may have this one shot to save an already crumbling brand ever since Ninja Steel got that much hatred even from some members of the Power Rangers fanbase! Who knows how many Power Rangers fans are there left thanks to two fiascos namely Megafarce and Ninja Slag. But it's too early to jump into conclusions, right?

Comments