Mortal Kombat (2011): A Game That Should NEVER Suffer The Same Fate As Mortal Kombat Trilogy

 

Right now, I have played what I'd call the Mortal Kombat Reboot Trilogy. After Mortal Kombat (2011) or better called MK9 was done - there was another one called Mortal Kombat X in the works. I remembered how Netherrealm Studios tried to provide a seventh-generation version of the game, failed, and required stores to return the money or allow them to get another game. I did get a new game after that cancellation. We later had Mortal Kombat XL which was the grand compensation package that Netherrealm promised. I think one of them said, "Just save up some money, we have something for you." It was pretty much a hint to save money for a new system and wait for the compensation package. I did get the compensation package, bought a PS4 ON SALE, and I LMAOed at the console snobs. 

I could remember playing MKXL and saying it's got better gameplay than what MK9 offered. Though, I felt the story mode was lacking. I think the Nostalgia Critic is bound to slam the Story Mode for some rather weird plots. I still think Shinnok getting beaten by Johnny Cage and Cassie Cage is like Loki getting hammered by the Hulk. Still, I can't deny how MKXL had more fun factors such as attempting brutality over a fatality and easier controls. I think the variation system has me mixed since it could complicate the gameplay. I think MK9 has been more beginner-friendly. MKXL though requires you to really understand the events of MK9 before you can understand the lackluster story mode here. 

The experience of MKXL reminded me of Mortal Kombat 4. Sure, I already don't play the first eight games. I even don't miss the 3D-era games and I call Mortal Kombat Deception a deception. Sure, I still think Onaga is cool BUT MK Deception becomes a joke to MK9 IMHO. Still, I remembered that I said MK4 had better gameplay than MK Trilogy. MK Trilogy is one incredibly imbalanced game. MK4 did try to balance things out even in the home consoles. The sub-boss fight with Goro isn't as hard as jump kicks could be spammed. In my case, I did use Liu Kang where repeated flying kicks defeated Goro that fast. Though, there was a time I missed playing MK Trilogy. MK Trilogy was more on the nostalgic side. Meanwhile, MK4 had smoother, more balanced gameplay even if Shinnok was practically OP in the hands of a skilled player.

I did enjoy MKXL. I finally got the chance to play Goro and make it worth it. This Goro was toned down for human players and probably meant to be played competitively. I enjoyed playing MKXL Goro over MK4 Goro. MKXL Goro was still threatening but didn't make the game too easy. MK4 Goro was still broken in some way although he was less powerful. MKXL even gave Goro his own ending - something he hardly got until later games. Goro was fun to play when he got balanced. 

Regardless of how fun MKXL was - I still feel MK9 became the new Mortal Kombat II. Sure, I don't really want to replay Mortal Kombat II (and some old games age badly). MK9 is built on nostalgia and quality gameplay. That's why I felt that MK Trilogy is no longer worth replaying. The game was severely imbalanced such as the boss characters, Rain, and Noob Saibot. TV Tropes even writes this down, "Video Game Remake: The game was approached in this fashion with regards to Mortal Kombat Trilogy, since it reunites everybody from the first three games, except Motaro, who is relegated to a cameo appearance." Indeed, MK9 was in a way, a Video Game Remake of MK Trilogy yet doesn't have that many issues. I guess that's why Motaro wasn't included for balancing reasons. 

Right now, MK Trilogy doesn't seem it'd get a PS Network release. There was the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection. Yet, NOTHING on MK Trilogy which I think is because the game is severely broken. Though, the lack of backward compatibility between the eighth-generation consoles and seventh-generation consoles stirs a serious problem. There are fans who still love MK9. MK9 may have practically buried MK Trilogy to the lowest level of the Netherrealm. I'd imagine King Yama, the ruler of the Netherrealm, hates the game so much that he sentenced it to the 18th level.

I want to see it remastered or make available as a digital purchase. Though, I want to see it remastered with newer stuff. Maybe, if possible, remove Freddy Kruger in a remaster if the copyright for the character can't be renewed. Maybe, remove Kratos if need be. There could be other stuff to add such as newer stages, maybe redesign the Shokan characters to look more intimidating, and I can go on. If anything, MK9 is the game that MK Trilogy failed to be. MK Trilogy should be discarded as a failed experiment. MK9 needs to be remastered because it's what brought the franchise back. 

Comments