Missing Potential: "Batman Beyond" Could've Given Batman And Catwoman That Loving Old Couple Ending

I remember watching Batman (1966) and the short-lived The Adventures of Batman. After that, there's Batman: The Animated Series. Okay, I'm in the minority of Batman x Poison Ivy shippers. However, Batman: TAS started to show signs that Batman and Catwoman could get together. As an adult, seeing the cast of Batman (1966) can be amusing. I remember not liking the late Eartha Kitt's portrayal of Catwoman in contrast to Julie Newmar. The late Adam West still remains iconic to me. Even with every new Batman that popped out in every new Batman movie - I believe Adam did the best portrayal. I still admire Michael Keaton and Val Kilmer. George Clooney probably got tarnished in that awful Batman and Robin movie. Seeing Adam even in his older age - he's aged so well. Adam, like his character Batman, was a player.

What could've been done was this. In Birds of Prey - Batman and Catwoman even had a daughter named Helena Kyle Wayne aka Huntress. The DCAU could've given Bruce and Selina as an elderly couple. Sure, I may have preferred Pamela (Poison Ivy) over Selina but putting the more iconic Catwoman into "just a memory" feels awkward. Instead, DCAU could've given perhaps the most iconic shipping Batman x Catwoman a more definite conclusion. I think Helena could've been added into the fray as Huntress. Though, I wonder how it can fit that Helena may secretly be Terry McGinnis' paternal half-sister?

Selina could play a significant part in Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. Selina could play as Bruce's loving supporting wife. Selina could talk about her interactions with the Joker. I'd like to see Selina (as a younger woman) take part in rescuing Tim Drake. Tim became the Second Joker. Selina could provide Terry and Bruce hints on how to break the Joker effect on Tim. I'd even like to have Selina meet back the now-elderly Harley who's disappointed that her twin granddaughters followed in her former footsteps. It's not explained though if they were also Joker's granddaughters. Again, I'm still always a Joker x Harley shipper so I assume that she and Joker had a biological child at some point. 

Comments