Mortal Kombat 11: What I Think Went Wrong In An Otherwise Decent Game

"Great game but not so great story!" can be a problem in fighting games. I admit, Mortal Kombat (2011) is still my personal favorite as I call it "The balanced out version of MK Trilogy to the point I can't play that game anymore!" -- it had that compelling story mode and everything. Then MKX came with great gameplay BUT the story mode just SUCKED IMHO. I thought Shinnok getting beaten by Johnny and Cassie is just as laughable as Hulk beating up Loki in the Avengers movie. Then there's MK11 which had great gameplay (but we could use some stage fatalities and more stage brutalities, please Netherrealm!) that's more accessible than MKX but I could talk about what went wrong. I'd call it better than the rather disappointing Tekken 7 BUT I could go ahead and mention some things that went wrong.

Some characters from MKX could have had been involved rather than absent in the Story Mode

Is it me or do I tend to sympathize with Shinnok too much? At least his most likely source material the fallen Elder God known as Tong Tian Jiao Zhu got more justice in most Wuxia series the latter appears in. Shinnok? Well, he was underutilized then he gets reduced to nothing but a FREAKING HEAD. If his mother Kronika can rewind time -- why not bring Shinnok back? If she can bring Shao Kahn prior to his destruction at the Elder Gods in then why not do the same for her son? I know Shinnok isn't very well-liked but he's nowhere near like Hsu Hao but Netherrealm seems not to like the guy at all. I mean, he could have still played a part with his mother and sister!

Another is WTF happened to the Kombat Kids namely Kung Jin AND Takeda? I admit, Takeda is my favorite Kombat Kid so it's kinda disappointing not to have him around. Imagine some interesting plots that could've have happened like Takeda trying to reason out with past Scorpion and present Scorpion/Hanzo Hasashi. Kung Jin could've played a part with the past versions of Kung Lao and Liu Kang -- though he's apparently been retconned as Kung Lao's nephew instead. Hmmm so I guess cousin meant first cousin once removed? After all, a first cousin once removed can be your uncle (if above one generation) or nephew (if below one generation) in the family tree.

Ronda Roussey AGAIN doesn't make a good Sonya Blade

Sure, Sonya's face has been freaking fixed but aren't there OTHER characters that can voice her? I think Brigitte Wilson should have voiced Sonya. I mean, freaking take a look at Brigitte in the present as a hot middle-aged woman. I think Brigitte herself could play as a dying Sonya that good! Remember how strong she was in the Mortal Kombat movie? If they can get Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa's voice (which I think should've been done in MK 2011 with old version of Shang Tsung). Ronda just plain SUCKS. I'd settle for Brigitte doing the voice because she's the best live-action Sonya ever! Hmmm while at it -- couldn't they get Linden Ashby to voice Johnny Cage too?

Shao Kahn is wasted fanservice in this game

I did mention at how Shao Kahn is a bigger, more interesting DLC pre-order package than that stupid Eliza in Tekken 7. However, the Story Mode doesn't do Shao Kahn much justice -- not especially after Kitana kills him THAT EASILY after he caused much trouble. I thought Shao Kahn should've been given a more expanded role. Yes, have Kitana beat him but let him retreat. Let him have a bigger part in the whole game.

Another thing I want to add is that -- remember how Goro was the sub-boss of MKX whether you pre-ordered him or not? I think Shao Kahn should've played the role of the sub-boss before Kronika whether you ordered him or not. Now, he's just a regular fighter -- something that happened to him in the Gamecube version of MK Deception and the PSP update known as MK Unchained. He should've been the sub-boss of the game even if he's been nerfed down.

Part of my idea is that he would be the second to the final character to fight in the Story Mode. Shao Kahn can retreat before Kotal stops becoming Kotal Kahn and hands over the crown to Kitana. I think Fire God Liu Kang should destroy Shao Kahn for good. Also, I think Liu Kang should get empowered by the Elder Gods and make it a twist that Cetrion didn't succeed in destroying them. Hmmm aren't there numerous other Elder Gods out there too that can destroy Kronika for her treachery? Kahn should've played as Kronika's chief enforcer instead of Geras if you ask me!

More stage brutalities and stage fatalities

I think an update patch is BADLY NEEDED with more stage brutalities and stage fatalities. MKX had more interesting Stage Brutalities but right now -- everyone is just stuck with the Stage Brutality where the bull skull kills your opponent! We need something interesting like the head impaled brutality (Bone Temple), Tarkatan does a Blanche or something like that. Then there's also what I'd call badly needed stage fatalities.

What stages do have the Stage Fatality potential IMHO? We could have the Shaolin Temple with the traps or the ship where we can see the enemy drown into the sea of blood. Like really Netherrealm? Did you spend too much time trying to deepen mechanics you forgot about the charm of stage fatalities? I hope these will be added soon!

__________

What parts of MK11 would you consider to have gone wrong?

Comments